- Since Multiple Sclerosis is an immune mediated illness, many of the treatments are based on modifying your immune system to control the illness.
- Prior to the early 1990’s, there was no MS-specific treatments available. We had many medications for treating the “symptoms” of MS, but no medications for the underlying disease.
- In the last 20 years, there have been great strides made in MS research, with numerous MS-specific medications available.
- Some of these medications are – Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxon, Rebif, Extavia, Plegridy, Gilenya, Aubagio, Tecfidera, Tysabri and Lemtrada.
- There are many more medications waiting for FDA approval, and should be available within the next few years.
- These medications are either injections, pills, or infusions.
- The Regional MS Center has vast experience with all these medications.
- We work with a local infusion center for those patients needing IV infusion therapy for their MS.
- Since we are actively involved with clinical research, some patients may qualify for receiving their medications thru one of the research grants.
- Since the criteria for entering a research program are very strict, only a limited few patients will qualify for such studies. Dr. Athni will discuss these options with you if he feels you qualify.
Accreditation & Affiliation
Board Certified in Neurology & Psychiatry (ABPN)
Assistant Clinical Professor @ Medical College of GA
President Elect of Georgia Neurological Society
Board Eligible in Electrodiagnostic Medicine and Sleep Medicine (ABSM)
Our Diagnostic Lab is Accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
New Info !!
Although there is no "magic" pill to help improve your cognition, the concept of "if you don't use it, you lose it" is absolutely true when it comes to memory and cognition.
There is a new board game called "Sedis" which has been an amazing creation. It is the brainchild of Neal Murthy, based out of Houston.
Sedis is a simple yet cognitively stimulating game, which I have been extremely impressed with. Here is the link to learn more about this game - http://nefergames.com/
Here is the link to purchase one thru their kickstarter campaign - http://bit.ly/sedisgame
Google Search Engine