Neurology of Central Georgia
175 Water Tower Court, Macon GA 31210 ~~~ Ph (478) 471-6217 ~~~ Fax (478) 471-8663
NOTE: Although there is widespread fear due to the Corona Virus (Covid-19), our office and Infusion Center remain open.
We are taking some common sense precautions.
If you have : (1) Fever, or (2) Cough, or (3) Shortness of Breath, PLEASE RESCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT.
When you come to the office, we are also implementing a “No Hands” policy. We will cordially acknowledge each other visually, and we will NOT shake hands to greet each other upon meeting and upon departing.
We thank you in advance for adhering to these common sense measures.
Full Neurological Services
One Convenient Location
We offer the full breadth of neurological services, including consultations, neuro-diagnostic testing, and infusion therapy — all under one roof, in one convenient location, in North Macon.
- We are the premier office for full neurological services.
- Dr. Athni has multiple degrees in multiple disciplines.
- Fully USA trained: Grade School –> College –> Medical School –> Residency
- Dr. Athni is Board Certified by the Am. Board of Neurology & Psychiatry.
Accreditation and Affiliation
- President of Georgia Neurological Society
- Assistant Clinical Professor @ Medical College of GA
- Board Certified by the American Board of Neurology & Psychiatry (ABPN)
- Board Eligible in Electrodiagnostic Medicine and Sleep Medicine (ABSM)
- Diagnostic Lab is Accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
Welcome To Our Office !
- Our office will provide a full range of Neurological services, including Neurological Evaluations and Consultations, Independent Medical Examinations (i.e. IME), Work Injury Evaluations, EMG/NCS, Records Review, EEG interpretations, and Sleep Studies, to name a few.
- We also offer Comprehensive Diagnostic Testing, Therapeutic Botox, and the full range of treatment options for your neurological condition.
- We also offer state of the art, “Hi-Tech” neurological treatment options, including Deep Brain Stimulation and Vagal Nerve Stimulation.
- We are involved in few research trials. If you qualify for one of these trials, you may be eligible for research medications through our office.
- If you are a new patient to our practice, please spend a few moments browsing the various pages published on this web site.
- We would also encourage you to consider downloading a pre-registration packet, as well as reviewing our insurance and payment policy under the “Insurance Information” section.
- If a service is not listed, please call our office and speak to our office manager
Most Commonly Viewed Pages
Directions to Office
- We are located in North Macon, near Coliseum Northside Hospital.
- We are near the Museum of Arts & Sciences (which is on Forsyth Road).
- We are about 1/2 mile south of Wesleyan College
- We are approximately 3 miles north of downtown Macon, and approximately 20 miles from the WR Air Force Base.
- We are directly behind the “Prado” shopping plaza on Forsyth Road.
- We are directly behind the large “water tower”, visible from Forsyth Road.
- We are “down the street” from Pine-Gate Nursing Home and the Wesleyan Animal Hospital
Information for New Patients
When should I come to the appointment?
- We request ALL new patients to arrive at the office at least 1 hour BEFORE their scheduled appointment. After you fill out the required paperwork, the office staff needs to enter all the information into our computer system before you can be seen by the physician.
- Arriving early will ensure that all paperwork and computer entry issues are completed before your scheduled appointment time. Otherwise, your consultation time will be delayed.
What paperwork will I have to fill out?
- You will be asked to fill out a “Registration” form, and a “Medical History” form.
- To minimize your office wait time, you may wish to download all the necessary registration forms, and bring the completed forms with you.
What should I bring to the office?
- To make the registration process easier, please bring ALL your medications with you. Also, bring your insurance card and your drivers license for identification purposes. We will make copies of these cards.
- If you have had any MRI scans, CT Scans, or any other X-rays which might be relevant to your condition, please bring the ACTUAL FILMS or CD and official reports with you on your visit.
- Please do NOT drop off the films at the office prior to your visit.
Identification and Insurance Cards
- You must bring your current insurance card, as well as a valid government issued picture ID, such as your driver’s license, your passport, a state-issued-ID, etc.
- Per federal insurance laws, we must verify the identification of the patient. We will make copies of the insurance card and your picture ID. Without proof of insurance coverage or valid picture ID, we will not be able to see you as a patient.
What notes do we need before your office visit?
- You MUST make sure any and all relevant office notes from your primary care physician (PCP) are faxed or mailed to our office prior to your visit.
- If you have previously seen a different Neurologist, we must be forwarded all those notes before an appointment can be made.
If you are a minor, or if you are a student…
- If you are less than 18 years old or if you are still a student, you MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Who will be allowed into the exam room?
- If you are an adult, then only the patient and immediate next of kin, will be allowed into the exam room (unless another family member is needed for medical reasons).
- If you have small children, PLEASE make other arrangements for them, as they will NOT be allowed into the exam room.
What about my medications?
- Please bring ALL you medications to the office. Depending on the situation, Dr. Athni may want to see the actual meds.
Who will be taking the medical history?
- Our office does NOT use a “Physician Assistant” or a “Nurse Practitioners”.
Dr. Athni will personally take a detailed medical history and performing the detailed Neurological examination.
- PLEASE NOTE: Although you will have filled out the registration forms, Dr. Athni will be re-asking many questions about your “past medical history” in great detail.
- Your visit will be a comprehensive one. Please do not expect Dr. Athni to just “read the old notes”. He will expect you to answer all questions in full detail.
Mon: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Tues: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Wed: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thurs: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Fri: 8:30 am to 12 Noon
Weekends – Closed
Holidays – Closed
If you are receiving Ocrevus, Lemtrada, Gilenya, Mayzent, Mavenclad, or Rituxan, please make an appointment with Dr. Athni to discuss your individual situation. For all other medications, including IVIG, Tysabri, Tecfidera, Aubagio, Copaxone, Avonex, Betaseron, Rebif, and Plegridy, Dr. Athni feels it should be safe to continue with your various neuro-medications.
If you are receiving Ocrevus, Lemtrada, Gilenya, Mayzent, Mavenclad, or Rituxan, please make an appointment with Dr. Athni to discuss your individual situation.
For all other medications, including IVIG, Tysabri, Tecfidera, Aubagio, Copaxone, Avonex, Betaseron, Rebif, and Plegridy, Dr. Athni feels it should be safe to continue with your various neuro-medications.