Neurology of Central Georgia
175 Water Tower Court, Macon GA 31210 ~~~ Ph (478) 471-6217 ~~~ Fax (478) 471-8663
Full Neurological Services
One Convenient Location
We offer the full breadth of neurological services, including consultations, neuro-diagnostic testing, and infusion therapy — all under one roof, in one convenient location, in North Macon.
- We are the premier office for full neurological services.
- Dr. Athni has multiple degrees in multiple disciplines.
- Fully USA trained: Grade School –> College –> Medical School –> Residency
- Dr. Athni is Board Certified by the Am. Board of Neurology & Psychiatry.
Accreditation and Affiliation
- President of Georgia Neurological Society
- Assistant Clinical Professor @ Medical College of GA
- Board Certified by the American Board of Neurology & Psychiatry (ABPN)
- Board Eligible in Electrodiagnostic Medicine and Sleep Medicine (ABSM)
- Diagnostic Lab is Accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
Welcome To Our Office !
- Our office will provide a full range of Neurological services, including Neurological Evaluations and Consultations, Independent Medical Examinations (i.e. IME), Work Injury Evaluations, EMG/NCS, Records Review, EEG interpretations, and Sleep Studies, to name a few.
- We also offer Comprehensive Diagnostic Testing, Therapeutic Botox, and the full range of treatment options for your neurological condition.
- We also offer state of the art, “Hi-Tech” neurological treatment options, including Deep Brain Stimulation and Vagal Nerve Stimulation.
- We are involved in few research trials. If you qualify for one of these trials, you may be eligible for research medications through our office.
- If you are a new patient to our practice, please spend a few moments browsing the various pages published on this web site.
- We would also encourage you to consider downloading a pre-registration packet, as well as reviewing our insurance and payment policy under the “Insurance Information” section.
- If a service is not listed, please call our office and speak to our office manager
About our Office
- Directions to Office
- What is a Neurologist?
- Our Neurologist - Dr. Athni
- Our Office Staff
- Info for New Patients
- Our Facility
- Coupons for Medications
Directions to Office
- We are located in North Macon, near Coliseum Northside Hospital.
- We are near the Museum of Arts & Sciences (which is on Forsyth Road).
- We are about 1/2 mile south of Wesleyan College
- We are approximately 3 miles north of downtown Macon, and approximately 20 miles from the WR Air Force Base.
- We are directly behind the “Prado” shopping plaza on Forsyth Road.
- We are directly behind the large “water tower”, visible from Forsyth Road.
- We are “down the street” from Pine-Gate Nursing Home and the Wesleyan Animal Hospital
What is a Neurologist?
What type of training does a Neurologist have?
- A Neurologist is a Medical Doctor, specialized in the study of the Nervous System.
- The field of Neurology includes the study of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, and muscles.
- After 4 years of college and 4 years of medical school, a Neurologist obtains specialty training in the field of “Neurology”. This includes 4 years of Neurology Residency, during which time the “Neurology skills” are fine tuned.
What disorders are treated by a Neurologist?
- Some common “symptoms” evaluated by a Neurologist include: headaches, neck pain, lower back pain, weakness, sleep problems etc.
- Some common disorders diagnosed and treated by a Neurologist include: Multiple Sclerosis, Stroke, Alzheimer’s, migraine headaches, “pinched nerve”, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Peripheral Neuropathy, ALS, Myasthenia Gravis, Polymyositis, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, and Seizures.
How does a Neurologist evaluate a patient?
- A Neurologist will obtain a detailed neurological history and a detailed neurological exam to better understand your condition.
- The Neurological exam is probably very different from any previous medical exam you might have undertaken.
- This evaluation process may take anywhere from 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
What tests might be ordered by the Neurologist?
- After the evaluation, some diagnostic tests may be ordered, such as : blood tests, MRI, CT scan, EMG-NCS, Sleep Studies, EEG, VNG, Ultrasounds, or Neuropsychology tests – to name a few.
How is a diagnosis made?
- After reviewing the results of the diagnostic tests, in conjunction with the neurological evaluation, a diagnosis will be made, and a treatment plan will be recommended.
- This evaluation process may take numerous visits, over a period of 4-8 weeks. Please do not expect a firm diagnosis on your first visit.
Our Neurologist – Dr. Athni
- Dr. Athni grew up in New York, and received most of his post-high school education and medical training in Houston, Texas.
- He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Environmental and Civil Engineering from Rice University in Houston, Texas, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
- He then received his MD from Baylor College of Medicine, also in Houston, Texas, graduating with Honors.
- This was followed by his Internal Medicine and Neurology Residency at Baylor College of Medicine.
- While in Macon, Dr. Athni has also obtained his MBA (Masters of Business Administration) at Mercer University.
- Dr. Athni is Board Certified by the American Board of Neurology and Psychiatry
- The practice is limited to Neurology, and we do NOT provide Psychiatric services.
- Deep Brain Certification (DBS)
- Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS)
- Therapeutic Botulinum Toxin Injections (Botox and Xeomin)
- After his formal education and training, Dr. Athni initially worked as an educator and instructor in Houston at Baylor College of Medicine medical school.
- He then worked for an HMO in Dallas, Texas, before becoming the Medical Director for Neurology of Central Georgia in Macon, Georgia.
- Dr. Athni has been in Macon, Georgia since mid-1995. He is an independent physician and is not employed or managed by any outside agency or hospital.
Hospital and University Affiliations:
- Affiliated with the Coliseum Health System, with consulting privileges at Macon Northside Hospital
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Neurology at the Medical College of Georgia
- President of the Georgia Neurological Society
- “Myotonic Dystrophy & Triplet Repeats” in Resident and Staff Physician, 3/95
- “Neuro-Anatomy” in Neurology Secrets, ’93, ’97, ’01, ’05, ’10 editor: Loren Rolak, MD
- Captain in U.S. Air Force Reserves, Medical Corps – Honorable Discharge
Current Academic Position:
- Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, Medical College of Georgia Augusta University, Augusta, GA
- Adjunct Clinical Instructor, Department of Family Medicine, Mercer University, Macon, GA
Our Office Staff
- Our office staff is available to assist you with scheduling appointments, billing, and processing insurance claims. They can also answer all non-medical questions.
- If you have any medical questions, they will take your message and a call-back phone number.
- Dr. Athni, (or someone from the office) will return your call before the end of the business day.
- If it is urgent, please inform us as such, and we will try to return your call as soon as possible.
Laura B. – Medical Assistant
- Laura is an integral part of our team. She will take referrals, change appointments, verify your insurance, and coordinate any phone messages with Dr. Athni.
- She has developed a reputation for being courteous and prompt.
- Additionally, with medical experience and background, she is able to assist with patient care.
Ash. A. – Office Manager
- Ash has been with our team since 1995. She handles all insurance claim issues and all financial matters, including payment and collections issues.
- If you have any questions regarding your account, Ash will gladly assist you.
Mike T. – Certified Ultrasonographer
- Mike has been assisting us since 2006. He is a board certified Ultrasonographer, with over 15 years of professional experience.
Andre M. – EEG Tech
- Andre joined our office in 2015. He has been performing EEG tests for over 20 years.
- He is a member of the ASET (American Society of Electrodiagnostic Technologists).
- He is very detail oriented and will make sure your EEG is done to the highest standards.
Robin A. – Certified Audiologist
- Robin joined the team in 2004. He is a board certified Audiologist, with a doctorate in Audiology. He has over 30 years of professional experience
Information for New Patients
When should I come to the appointment?
- We request ALL new patients to arrive at the office at least 1 hour BEFORE their scheduled appointment. After you fill out the required paperwork, the office staff needs to enter all the information into our computer system before you can be seen by the physician.
- Arriving early will ensure that all paperwork and computer entry issues are completed before your scheduled appointment time. Otherwise, your consultation time will be delayed.
What paperwork will I have to fill out?
- You will be asked to fill out a “Registration” form, and a “Medical History” form.
- To minimize your office wait time, you may wish to download all the necessary registration forms, and bring the completed forms with you.
What should I bring to the office?
- To make the registration process easier, please bring ALL your medications with you. Also, bring your insurance card and your drivers license for identification purposes. We will make copies of these cards.
- If you have had any MRI scans, CT Scans, or any other X-rays which might be relevant to your condition, please bring the ACTUAL FILMS or CD and official reports with you on your visit.
- Please do NOT drop off the films at the office prior to your visit.
Identification and Insurance Cards
- You must bring your current insurance card, as well as a valid government issued picture ID, such as your driver’s license, your passport, a state-issued-ID, etc.
- Per federal insurance laws, we must verify the identification of the patient. We will make copies of the insurance card and your picture ID. Without proof of insurance coverage or valid picture ID, we will not be able to see you as a patient.
What notes do we need before your office visit?
- You MUST make sure any and all relevant office notes from your primary care physician (PCP) are faxed or mailed to our office prior to your visit.
- If you have previously seen a different Neurologist, we must be forwarded all those notes before an appointment can be made.
If you are a minor, or if you are a student…
- If you are less than 18 years old or if you are still a student, you MUST be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Who will be allowed into the exam room?
- If you are an adult, then only the patient and immediate next of kin, will be allowed into the exam room (unless another family member is needed for medical reasons).
- If you have small children, PLEASE make other arrangements for them, as they will NOT be allowed into the exam room.
What about my medications?
- Please bring ALL you medications to the office. Depending on the situation, Dr. Athni may want to see the actual meds.
Who will be taking the medical history?
- Our office does NOT use a “Physician Assistant” or a “Nurse Practitioners”.
Dr. Athni will personally take a detailed medical history and performing the detailed Neurological examination.
- PLEASE NOTE: Although you will have filled out the registration forms, Dr. Athni will be re-asking many questions about your “past medical history” in great detail.
- Your visit will be a comprehensive one. Please do not expect Dr. Athni to just “read the old notes”. He will expect you to answer all questions in full detail.
- Our office is a “smoke-free” medical facility. Our new facility is specifically designed for our neurology patients.
- Each room has “overhead music”, including the exam rooms. The bathrooms are “extra large” to accommodate wheelchairs, if necessary.
- The hallways are “spacious” (6 feet wide) to handle wheelchairs and walkers.
- The exam rooms are “sound proof” to provide for confidential discussions with the doctor.
- We also offer Free Wifi HotSpot access, which you can use to browse the internet while waiting to be seen.
- We are located one block east of Forsyth Road, near Macon Northside Hospital, just behind the “water tower”.
Coupons for Medications
- We fully understand that the current health care system can be financially burdensome to some patients.
- Although many medications have a “generic” form, many others are only available in the “branded form”. Such branded medications can sometimes be quite expensive, even if you have “good” health insurance.
- Although Dr. Athni tries to prescribe generic medications whenever possible, many times this is not possible. In an effort to financially assist our patients, we have compiled a list of coupons of some “branded” medications.
- These coupons are made available to us by the manufacturer. Please read the “fine print” for each coupon to see if you qualify for the discount. These coupons may expire without notice.
Mon: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Tues: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Wed: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Thurs: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Fri: 8:30 am to 12 Noon
Weekends – Closed
Holidays – Closed
175 Water Tower Court
Macon, GA 31210